ABOUT THE PROJECt

GOAL: Create an app or mobile website that tackled a problem that was found on the SCAD campus. 

OPPORTUNITY: To make information available to students across campus.

 

INITIAL DESIGN PHASE

The winning team's idea was called SCAD X and it's goal was to allow SCAD students to share what materials they had and what materials they wished they had and match them with other students' materials and wishes, no money involved. After having a discussion about the concept the winning team had made, we all identified opportunities for improvement through collaboration. The areas we wanted to improve were:

  • The process of being able discover objects and materials
  • How the user added content
  • A clear and concise communication
  • Create a fun and gratifying experience for the user

This project had initially started in many teams, each team worked on different ideas. Later, as a class the ideas that were more feasible to develop during the course of the six weeks that were left in the quarter (each quarter has 10 weeks) were chosen and the defeated groups merged with the ones that succeed. Sadly, the idea that my team had developed was a bit difficult to implement with the time we had, so I joined one of the other teams. You can learn more about the original idea of my first team here.

 

The first thing we did was redefine the user's journey and mapped out the application's information architecture.

During this phase we also chose a name for the newly formed team and app. This allowed old members and new to have a sense of belonging and ownership with the project. The name of the team was Bandy and the app's name would be Bandier. Using my background in Graphic Design, I developed both branding identities. 


PROJECT PROTOTYPING

We then dove into the project and redesigned some aspects of the interaction the user had with the app, without eliminating the essential characteristics that SCAD X had. We designed new ways for the users to view products, how they uploaded images and how the transaction process was made. We developed a series of lo-fi and mid-fi prototypes to test our ideas with potential users and iterated on their feedback. 

Once we reached the Hi-Fi prototype phase we went through a round of user testing and  recorded them using Bandier. We then did one final refinement of our process, and made the video you can watch below. 


DEMO

This project was done in collaboration with: